A house from the 18th century (an inn)
The building was erected in the 18th century. Today it is located in Karol Marcinkowski Square No. 10 (formerly 10 Targowisko (Market) street. It is one of the oldest houses in the town. Originally, it housed an inn. Since the twenties of the 19th century it was run by Jan Kulesza – a Napoleonic officer and the mayor of Gostyń. This is the place where in the years 1835-1841 the Kasyno Gostyńskie (The Casino of Gostyń) had its seat. At the turn of the 50s and 60s of the 19th century the widow after Jan Kulesza sold the house to the Jankiewicz family, who soon afterwards opened the Poznański Hotel there. It certainly operated for the next 20 years.
During the Wielkopolska Uprising 1918-1919 the house was the seat of the District People’s Council and Peoples’ Guard’s Headquarters. Two locally distinguished figures lived there: Franciszek Polaszek and Marian Węclewicz.
Franciszek Polaszek (1872 – 1954) – a builder by profession, the owner of two sawmills and a storehouse of building supplies. He was a well-known social activist; for example, he belonged to the local marksmen society. He was a member of the secret District Citizens’ Committee and later he created the local District People’s Guard. As a member of the immediate management of the Wielkopolska Uprising he directly took part in taking over power by the District Peoples’ Council from the Prussians. As a deputy of the war commander, he took part in organising voluntary insurgents squads in the Gostyń District. Since 25 February 1919 he held the position of the chief of the District Peoples’ Guard. In the twenty-year period between the wars he was a member of the district parliament and a councillor of the Gostyń Town Council. He belonged to the National Faction (Stronnictwo Ludowe).
Marian Węclewicz (1903 – 1986) – a lawyer, a participant of the Wielkopolska Uprising, during the Polish – Bolshevik war he signed up as a volunteer to the 55th Regiment of Poznań Ulans and he fought at the Lithuanian – Belorussian front. In September 1939, together with 17th Ulans’ Regiment, operating within the Wielkopolska Brigade of Cavalry he took part in the battle of the Bzura, where he was severely wounded. Between 1939 and 1945 he was kept in German captive camps, including Lubeca and Dösel Oflags. In 1945 he started working in the Polish Repatriation Mission and since 1947 – in Polish Military Mission for Investigating War Crimes. Since 1964 he run a lawyer’s office and for several years he held the position of the leader of the local Barrister’s Group. He was a co-founder of the units of the Association of Campaigners for Freedom and Democracy (Związek Bojowników o Wolność i Demokrację) in Gostyń, Pępowo and Poniec. For 12 years he was the chairman of Gostyń branch; member of the Regional Management in Poznań. He was a devoted regionalist and belonged to the co-founders of the Social Regional Committee (later Cultural Society of Gostyń), in which for some time he was the vice – chairman. He was also a co-founder of the monument in Walewice, commemorating Polish soldiers who were killed there in the September Campaign.