Śladami historii...

The Hospital

In 1835 Kasyno Gostyńskie (The Casino of Gostyń) was set up, the first association for organic work in the Wielkopolska (Great Poland) region, whose aim was to fulfil the basic postulates of positivism – taking up common effort, by all social classes, to increase industrial development as well as to strengthen the internal bonds among all social classes.

Two years later the association made a decision to build its own headquarters. The construction was completed in October 1841. The building included a large ballroom, used for general meetings, offices of the management, small club rooms, a library, a reading room and a room for museum exhibits. The building was erected thanks to the funds donated by Gustaw Potworowski from Gola.

In February 1846 Prussian authorities liquidated the Kasyno. Two years later an epidemic of cholera broke out in the Great Poland. It also caused many deaths in the Gostyń area. There was no place to treat the sick. In particular, numerous orphans were doomed to suffer. In 1849 former members of the Gostyń’s Kasyno – Gustaw Potworowski, Stanisław Chłapowski, Edmund Bojanowski and Kajetan Morawski – decided to transform the house of the Kasyno into an orphanage and a house for the sick. In the same year three Sisters of Mercy, who were to look after the sick and the orphans, were brought from Poznań.

The nuns organized a Center for the Sick, which officially opened on the 21st August 1849. The hospital had 46 beds at its disposal. In 1850 the local orphanage was attached and the whole organization was turned into an Institute. In November 1851 Stanisław Chłapowski from Czerwona Wieś (Red Village) bought the former Kasyno’s house for the Institute, and on February 26th 1857 he sold it to three Sisters of Mercy Teresa Ostrowska, Paulina Strzyżyńska and Seweryna Morawska.

At the end of the 19th century the Institute was turned into district hospital. In the following years it was enlarged. It provided medical services for the residents of Gostyń and neighboring villages. In 1919 the hospital functioned as insurgent hospital for soldiers from the south-western front.

During Nazi occupation Polish Sisters of Mercy were removed from the hospital. In January 1945 while the German Army was blowing up ammunition warehouses in the woods nearby Old Gostyń the building of the hospital was seriously damaged. After the war the building was quickly renovated and put to use, and the nuns returned to Gostyń.

On the 3rd October 1949 the district authorities took over the building and its equipment to use without charge. The scope of operation of the hospital was systematically broadened and improved. Between 1963 and 1965 there was another renovation and the building was enlarged. A southern wing was added, some ceilings replaced, new stairways, a new operating theater, a laboratory, a pharmacy and a blood donation facility were build. A separate water refining system was constructed.

Since 1953 the patron of the Gostyń hospital has been Karol Marcinkowski MD (1800 – 1846).