It was 1310 when St Margaret’s Parish Church first appeared in the sources. The church was built by the Łodzia Family. Until the 17th century, the church was dedicated to St. Jude the Apostle and St. Simon. Between 1418 and 1436 the Wezenborg family extended the presbytery, added the main and side naves, transepts and a tower – all in the Gothic style. The church was also given defensive functions. There is a legend, that Góra Zamkowa (the Castle Hill) was connected to the parish church by an underground tunnel. There is such possibility, as the owners’ quarters were built of wood, while the parish church was, at that time, a true fortress. The Borek Family of the Gryzina Coat of Arms added a vestibule (1523) and the treasure house (1526). At the same time, the chapel of St. Anne was built. It was founded by Makary Skoczylas, a potter from Gostyń. In the middle of the 16th century, two final levels of the tower were added. It has never been finished off with a dome, although there were most likely plans to do so. Since 1531 the outside look of the church has not changed significantly. In 1682, due to years of neglect, the roof, the vault of the main nave, three pillars and one of the south nave’s walls collapsed. Between 1560-1566, the church was in the hands of dissenters. In 1565 a synod of representatives of various creeds took place in Wielkopolska, chaired by Erazm Gliczer.
Between 1901 and 1906 the church went through a complete renovation. Underneath the main nave, simple medieval coffins were discovered. The presbytery floor had 4 doors leading to underground crypts. Three of these were full of richly decorated coffins, while in the fourth, the smallest crypt, the renovators found a boat-shaped coffin. Currently, none of the entrances are accessible. The oldest part of the church, that survived to this day, is the 16th century presbytery. The inside, after the addition in the 15th century had been built, was most likely plastered. This way, the previous frescoes that had earlier covered all of the walls were hidden. The vault of the main nave - cross-barreled style – was built after 1682. The current polychrome was created in 1852, according to the design by prof. Wacław Taranczewski. The remaining vaults are in Gothic style. The polychrome of St Anne’s chapel was designed in 1905 by Roger Stanisławski, an architect from Poznań. It was decorated with lyrics of the oldest Polish religious song, “Bogurodzica”, and the text of the Prayer to St. Anne. The main altar was built in about 1658. It is decorated with a painting of Our Lady of Carmel and, in the altarpiece, a depiction of St. Margaret of Antioch. In the presbytery, there are late Gothic stalls from the 16th century, and late-Renaissance ones from the 17th century. The pulpit was made in 18th century. The Baptismal and confessionals are made of wood in Rococo style. The pews in the main nave were made around 1750. The empora was built in the Baroque period. The current organs were assembled between 1948 and 1949. In St. Anne’s Chapel one can admire a Baroque altar decorated with a group of sculptures depicting St Anne, Virgin Mary and baby Jesus.